Amateur naturalist with particular interest in moths, especially Pterophoridae and Alucitidae, based in Canberra, ACT, Australia.
My observations are uploaded to iNaturalist and my photographs to Flickr. Professional stuff, including publications can be found on my ORCiD page (and possibly LinkedIn). Software activity is on Github.
Currently working as:
- Species 2000 International Engagement Officer
- Executive Secretary for the International Barcode of Life (iBOL)
- Data Lead for the Australian Plant Phenomics Facility (APPF)
Previous roles include:
- Director of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF, 2012-2019)
- Director of the Atlas of Living Australia (ALA, 2007-2011)
- Chair of the Taxonomic Databases Working Group (TDWG, 2008-2010)
- GBIF Deputy Director for Informatics (2006-2007)
- GBIF Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability (2002-2006)
- Assorted software development and architecture roles for IBM UK and IBM New Zealand (1986-2002)